I am a bibliophibian teacher of urban language-minority children with special needs who is on a mission to change the way “we do” school – one child at a time. Most of my children at PS 270 (where I taught for 17 years) are dual language learners (they are simultaneously learning the language of school – English and their home language – Spanish). I view teaching a political act.
I am an artist and constructivist-reading teacher by training and a social-reconstructivist by nature. I believe that multi-sensory learning and place-based teaching fosters the capacities needed for a successful, purposeful, and joyful life, ignites intrinsic passion for learning, and inspires responsibility for self, community and the world. I believe that when children get smarter, the world becomes a better place.
I also believe that students who are lacking executive functioning skills (who have ADHD symptomatology) can be profoundly helped by art and creative activities. These students may have fallen through the cracks and often behave in ways that are inflexible and have trouble when a familiar routine is disrupted. I am convinced that these children can learn to concentrate and focus. Research in educational neuroscience has shown that making art actually grows neurons which strengthen executive functioning skills and builds resilience, flexibility and nimble thinking.
I believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every individual. I believe that if I am not part of the solution I am part of the problem.
I was a traditional public school teacher for 17 years and a charter school administrator for three. I made the leap into private practice offering:
- Educational Therapy (more than just tutoring – support to individuals and their families),
- Art Parties (creative and mindful intentional time in your home),
- English as a Second Language tutoring (and professional development for teachers who want to know more about how to make “content” comprehensible to second language learners),
- Homeschool Enrichment and Curricular design
- Professional Development to Educators, Parent Groups or interested parties on a variety of topics
- Art Event Planning and Facilitation
Thanks for visiting my blog! Please like my pages and feel free to leave me questions and comments!